World News Connection (National Technical Information Service, Department of Commerce) is a “foreign news service from the U.S. government” which includes translations or English-language news sources from selected jurisdictions. For instance, it doesn’t cover Jamaican newspapers or Germany’s FAZ. Full text coverage is mostly from 2003 to present. World News Connection is a useful database for international/area studies, international human rights and immigration law research. NTIS’ WNC contains “full text and summaries of newspaper articles, Websites, conference proceedings, television and radio broadcasts, periodicals, and non-classified technical reports”. It is an e-continuation of the Foreign Broadcast Information Service (FBIS) daily reports, which sometimes included English translations of foreign laws.
The University of Chicago Library has trial access to the WNC through April 20, 2013. Access details are below:
Chicago’s IPs have just been authenticated for World News Connection at http://dlib.eastview.com.
Note that World News Connection is also available via Westlaw Classic as the WRLDNWSC database (covers December 2003 to date).
Newspapers from these particular regions are available via World News Connection:
- Central Asia/Caucasus: http://dlib.eastview.com/browse/udb/230
- Central/Eastern Europe: http://dlib.eastview.com/browse/udb/203
- East Asia: http://dlib.eastview.com/browse/udb/232
- Latin America/Caribbean: http://dlib.eastview.com/browse/udb/205
- North Africa: http://dlib.eastview.com/browse/udb/209
- Near/Middle East: http://dlib.eastview.com/browse/udb/207
- South Asia: http://dlib.eastview.com/browse/udb/211
- Southeast Asia/Oceania: http://dlib.eastview.com/browse/udb/213
- Sub-Saharan Africa: http://dlib.eastview.com/browse/udb/215
- Western Africa: http://dlib.eastview.com/browse/udb/217
- Western Europe: http://dlib.eastview.com/browse/udb/219