Update: The Library will be launching the new website described below starting at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, July 5. Site visitors should expect service interruptions throughout the evening, and, because the changes will take time to propagate over the internet, some users may be unable to reach the site through July 6.
Access to resources outside of the main Library website should continue uninterrupted during this time. These include:
Thank you for your patience as we roll out these changes.
The University of Chicago Library will launch a new website over the summer. The new site’s improved navigation and mobile-friendly design will provide faculty and students with ready access to curated, scholarly information and research expertise.
Changes to the design and structure of the new Library website are being made in response to the needs and feedback of UChicago faculty, students, and staff. The new site will be optimized for both desktop and mobile use, with a modern look and feel. It is being made easier to browse and navigate by
- providing streamlined access to search tools for articles, journals, and databases;
- providing more consistent navigation across the top of the site’s pages;
- reorganizing information into categories developed directly from user input;
- making it easier to find information about distinctive collections, exhibitions, study spaces, hours, and locations; and
- connecting related collections, tools, and experts, making it easier for users to take advantage of the wealth of information and services offered by the Library.
In addition, Library news will be presented in a more engaging way on the site, and pages will be optimized for discovery via Google or other search engines.
The current Library Catalog, launched in 2014, is not being redesigned as a part of this project.
The new Library website will first go live in mid-summer and will be further refined in the weeks leading up to fall orientation. During this period, if you have any difficulty finding the information you are looking for, librarians will be happy to assist you via our Ask a Librarian service.
The University of Chicago Library website serves as a gateway to UChicago collections and licensed resources; the online Ask a Librarian service, including live chat; Library staff with expertise in a wide range of subjects; research guides in numerous fields; and videos and guides explaining how to conduct research using library resources.