The Library is now offering an improved Interlibrary Loan service that provides a streamlined way for UChicago faculty, students, and staff to request materials from a wide range of other libraries.
Previously, Library users had to decide among several services to obtain needed material:
- BorrowDirect for obtaining material from the Ivy Plus libraries;
- UBorrow for obtaining material from the Big Ten Academic Alliance libraries;
- Traditional Interlibrary Loan for material held in other libraries; or,
- Recall for University of Chicago Library copies already on loan.
Now you will use a single Interlibrary Loan service that automatically gets you what you want in the best and fastest way. Big Ten and Ivy Plus partners will continue to provide expedited delivery in roughly 4-5 days. Items will usually be obtained from other libraries, but local copies will still be recalled if needed material is not rapidly available via interlibrary loan.
To use the new Interlibrary Loan service:
- Click on the “Interlibrary Loan” link in a UChicago Library Catalog record, or
- Click the “FindIt!” button in other resources such as WorldCat and Articles Plus, and then click the “Interlibrary Loan” link.
There is no need to search UBorrow and BorrowDirect individually anymore to make a request, as the improved Interlibrary Loan service will do that for you. However, the UBorrow and BorrowDirect search pages are still available from the Library’s home page if you want to use them.