Continuing our collections news, one of our more frequently used collections, The Committee to Frame a World Constitution Records, has been re-housed into new, more usable containers. This collection, which documents efforts to formulate a world constitution in the post-War era, includes correspondence, administrative and financial records, manuscripts submitted to Common Cause, and drafts of the World Constitution itself. Robert Hutchins, Mortimer Adler, Robert Redfield, Richard McKeon, and other University of Chicago faculty and administrators were involved in the effort. The re-housed records also incorporate additional materials not included in the original finding aid.
Beginning of historic campus tour
A new online tour of the University of Chicago campus allows visitors to view select campus residence halls and classroom buildings as they were in decades past, while simultaneously seeing that location as it appears today. The campus tour, created by Special Collections staff and using the social media site HistoryPin, features dozens of images from the Special Collections Research Center’s Photographic Archive. Each image is then mapped to a current-day Google Street Map location. Viewers have the option to use the “fade” control to fade the historical image into the background or bring it forward.
This historic campus tour is the second such virtual tour created in Special Collections, the first being a tour of iconic sights of Chicago, inspired by the postcards in the Ian Mueller Collection of Chicago Memorabilia. The Chicago city postcard tour was curated by the Special Collections archives and manuscripts unit staff, and launched at the same time the exhibition, “Souvenirs! Get Your Souvenirs!” opened in the Special Collections Exhibition Gallery. The physical exhibition runs July 22- October 5, 2013. View the postcard tour online.
For decades the University of Chicago Library’s historical children’s books were located in the Encyclopaedia Britannica Collection of Books for Children ( better known as “EB”). The nearly 5,000 books that formed the core of the Encyclopaedia Britannica Collection of Books for Children were collected by Chicagoan Henry C. Friedman. His collection was purchased by Encyclopaedia Britannica (whose then- president, William Benton, was a member of the University’s Board of Trustees) and donated to the University of Chicago in 1946 to provide resources for research and teaching of children’s literature in the Graduate School of Library Service. Over the years, many individuals have made gifts to the Encyclopaedia Britannica Collection of Books for Children, which has grown to over 12,000 titles.
The Special Collections Research Center has established a new collection with the name Historical Children’s Books (HCB), in order to distinguish the original EB/Friedman gift from the subsequent additions. A Special Collections project is under way to separate the books collected by Harry Friedman using the original inventory of his collection. These books will remain in the Encyclopaedia Britannica Collection of Books for Children and all others will be moved to the new HCB collection. This process will take several months and Special Collections Research Center staff will be happy to help users locate materials during this transition period.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Alice Schreyer, Assistant University Librarian for Humanities, Social Sciences, and Special Collections (email@example.com), Catherine Uecker, Rare Books Librarian (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Julia Gardner, Head of Reader Services (email@example.com).
Walt Whitman signature, from letter to his publisher.
The original manuscript of Walt Whitman’s “The Bible as Poetry,” bound with related pieces of Whitmaniana, is now online. The manuscript includes a letter sent from Whitman to his publishers, Jeannette Leonard Gilder and Joseph B. Gilder, part of which is shown to the left.
The bulk of the manuscript consists of Whitman’s edits to his work, as seen in this example. The complete essay was published in The Critic in 1883.