Happy Chinese Lunar New Year of the Horse! In celebration, here’s a quick guide to help with researching Chinese statutes and regulations in English translation. Major sources to check include Peking University’s LawInfoChina/ChinaLawInfo (北大法律信息网) database, Westlaw China, the National People’s Congress’ Database of Laws and Regulations, Laws of the People’s Republic of China (AsianLII), and the Supreme People’s Court’s “Laws & Regulations” page. The NPC database contains laws in these categories:
- Civil and Commercial Laws
- Social Law
- Administrative Law
- Economic Law
- Criminal Law
- Procedural and Nonprocedural Laws
- Administrative Regulations
Translations of recent Chinese laws or proposed legislation will sometimes be posted on the CHINALAW email discussion group or on the China Law Prof blog. Older laws in translation are sometimes separately-published, or selectively printed in journals such as China Law and Practice. Search the Library Catalog, Lens, or WorldCat to locate them. If you are looking for Chinese laws on specialized topics such as intellectual property, trade, and investment, check the website of the related government agency or international organization. For additional information, check the Law Library of Congress’ China: Translation of National Legislation into English (March 2012, PDF).
Print sources of English translations of Chinese legislation owned by Chicago-area libraries include:
- The Laws of the People’s Republic of China (Legislative Affairs Commission of the Standing Committee of the National People’s Congress, Beijing: Foreign Languages Press, 1987-date) (P.R.C. Laws). Regenstein (selected volumes); John Marshall Law Library.
- Laws and Regulations of the People’s Republic of China Governing Foreign-Related Matters (China Legal Publishing House, 1991-2011). Regenstein.
- Laws and Regulations of the People’s Republic of China (Legislative Affairs Office of the State Council, China Legal Publishing House, 2012-date) (P.R.C. Laws & Regs) = Zhonghua Renmin Gongheguo fa lü fa gui hui bian.
- Statutes and Regulations of the People’s Republic of China (Hong Kong: University of East Asia Press and Institute of Chinese Law, 1987-date). IIT-Chicago-Kent College of Law Library.
- China Laws for Foreign Business.(CCH Australia, 1985-date). John Marshall Law Library.
Happy researching! And, if you need additional assistance, Ask-A-Law-Librarian!